PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Install Failure

problems
12 Oct 2009, 16:35
EDIT: So seems I found the installer and vc_red.msi (extracted it from the EXE from WinRAR), but whenever you point to it, it just fails every time. The installer goes into not responsive and then the installation has to be closed the hard way and outpost is "service not ready" on restart.

I was just updating Outpost fromv 6.7 2957.446.0711 when it did THIS near the end of installation:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4060/0087.png

Honestly, I cannot find the download for this ANYWHERE. The one I found from Microsoft isn't the right version and it's not in vc_red.msi format that outpost will only accept. Has anyone else encountered this? I have NEVER had this happen before when upgrading. I checked and it's already installed as well.

I would go back to 446 but they might have fixed one of the problems I'm encountering: "Possible crashes on full-screen application launch on Windows 7 x64". To make matters worse, I can't even find the previous version anywhere. I'm only on the RC of Windows 7 though.

Manny Carvalho
12 Oct 2009, 17:13
There's no need to go anywhere. Agnitum includes it. Just download the installation file and it should install everything.

Where did you obtain this OP install file from?

What you can try is, in safe mode, use clean.exe in the OP folder to cleanly remove and install a fresh download.

problems
12 Oct 2009, 17:31
The installer for Outpost or vc_red? I got Outpost from Agnitum's official site and vc_red.msi from Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)'s exe.

I'll try safe mode but there is no clean.exe. I have uninstalled it through add/remove programs though, restart, retry, but no dough.

minoka
13 Oct 2009, 00:36
You can download clean.exe from this Agnitum KB article (http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article.php?id=1000159&lang=en).

Hope this helps.

Manny Carvalho
13 Oct 2009, 02:57
The file clean.exe is located in the OP folder but if it's not there then something likely went wrong with your install and it still needs cleaning out. Take Minoka's suggestion and grab that file from Agnitum and use it in safe mode to clean things out. That should do it but if not then you'll need to scrub your registry using our extended uninstall FAQ: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7186

If you can take your system back in time before the upgrade and then uninstall it that might work as well.

The 64 bit version comes up with different issues not seen in the 32 bit version. I'm afraid it's still some growing pains. There just should be no need for a user to install anything but the Agnitum install file.

minoka
13 Oct 2009, 03:41
Problems said he uninstalled via add/remove, so clean.exe (which is in OP's folder) would have been removed as well, that is why he could not find clean.exe! A 'puzzling' thing...

Manny Carvalho
13 Oct 2009, 06:29
That would be right because clean.exe is to be used as a replacement for Add/Remove in the safe mode. Once the software is uninstalled then clean.exe is gone as well. That's typically what you expect when you uninstall software. You want all of its components gone and nothing left behind unless you take special precautions.

But I really thought he said that he couldn't find clean.exe while he still had OP installed which would point, if true, to some failure with the installation.

problems
13 Oct 2009, 08:36
Sooo... nobody has encountered the dialogue box above?

Manny Carvalho
13 Oct 2009, 08:47
I have never seen it.

minoka
13 Oct 2009, 09:09
vc_red.msi is found in the vcredist_x64.exe file downloaded at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=bd2a6171-e2d6-4230-b809-9a8d7548c1b6&displaylang=en
Used winzip and winrar.

problems
13 Oct 2009, 09:51
vc_red.msi is found in the vcredist_x64.exe file downloaded at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=bd2a6171-e2d6-4230-b809-9a8d7548c1b6&displaylang=en
Used winzip and winrar.

I've already tried that and actually the one that Outpost calls for is the SP1 one, but anyways, pointing to it doesn't work. Less than 5 seconds after and outpost goes into not responding. I think this is a problem with this build. I"ve never had this happen when upgrading before. And the free one doesn't support Windows 7 either.

minoka
13 Oct 2009, 10:11
Have you tried to do what Manny suggested, that is uninstall then re-install Outpost?
Be sure and get the version of clean.exe that is correct for your system :)

problems
13 Oct 2009, 10:19
I have uninstalled and then reinstalled. I will try the clean.exe shortly and post back what happened.

problems
13 Oct 2009, 10:57
Well just ran clean.exe on safe mode and restarted. You dont see any progress bar that clean.exe is working or even a window. But it restarted my computer. Reinstalled Outpost. It didn't show me the message, instead it just hung. Task Manager said it was not responsive. But I let it go and it installed! It looks like it's working now.

Hey, what happens to topics that get their issue solved? You don't trash them do you? Keep it here just incase somebody else has the issue.

Actually seems I can't edit my original post and topic title. Can a mod or somebody let me do that so I can say that the problem is fixed and provide the response and answer at the top if somebody else goes search for vc_red or such here?

minoka
13 Oct 2009, 11:26
Glad things appear to be working now!

Hey, what happens to topics that get their issue solved? You don't trash them do you? Keep it here just incase somebody else has the issue.No, we do not do that.

Anyone doing a forum search for vc_red.msi would get one result...this thread!

Manny Carvalho
13 Oct 2009, 17:47
I'm glad you let it go since I neglected to mention that there's no indication that clean.exe is working. It's silent unfortunately but often seems to help clear things up when an install has problems. I'm glad it's helped you.

I changed the thread title to Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Install Failure and as Minoka says the forum search feature does look inside the thread and can find the installer name.