Thread: No Internet connection after installing Checkpoint VPN

No Internet connection after installing Checkpoint VPN

After installing Check Point VPN I could not get any connection to the internet with Outpost 1 or 2.1 active. Everything worked before the VPN installation and everything works if Outpost is stopped and exited.

I've been running Outpost 1.0 under Win98 for a long time and tried Outpost 2.1 when I could not get any programs to talk to the internet after installing the VPN. I also tried reinstalling 1.0. Both 1.0 and 2.1 give similar results--no internet connection.

Some searching on this forum identified settings to get the VPN to communicate through Outpost, but I cant get anything including the VPN to connect.

Any suggestions on how to get the internet connection working again?

Re: No Internet connection after installing Checkpoint VPN

Arnb,

This depends on exactly which protocol your VPN software uses. If it uses PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) then you will need a global rule to allow this (and this should be reported in your Blocked logs).

If it uses IPSec then you need to allow AH (Authenticating Header) and ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload) protocols. In addition you may need to disable the Attack Detection plugin - this is because it discards fragmented packets but the IKE (Internet Key Exchange) stage of IPsec uses large packets (needing fragmentation) for X.509 certificates.

More details on this can be found in the Where do all IP fragments go? thread. If disabling Attack Detection works but you wish to be able to keep using it, then check the Max MTU, fragmented ICMP packets thread for suggested modifications to the protect.lst file to allow this.

Thank you Paranoid200 for responding.

The VPN is set to use "IKE over TCP" and "Force UDP encapsulation". I have a cable connection which was optimized at install to MTU=1500 Window = 256590.

However, the VPN install and subsequent loss of the software firewall is already way beyond my current time constraints, my need to know the inner workings of internet security and to understand the deeper levels of Outpost. I setup a clone of my system in another partition, installed the VPN and have been testing alternate software firewall solutions. While I prefer Outpost's approach to security, it's GUI and it's ease of use, I did find an alternate solution that with only a minor tweak works for me, with my system being "stealth" on the test facilities and the VPN able to communicate.

I feel Outpost is a great product and has an excellent user forum, but for now, reluctantly I must move on.
    Arn

I may have acted too quickly. "Z" other firewall I'm trying is eating high on the CPU, consuming nearly 14% of my antique 300mhz processor, this was the reason I initially moved away from that product a few years ago. Outpost is much lighter consuming only about 6% of the cpu.

I seem to have encountered the "Learning Bug" noted in another post due to the firewall's manipulation of the bindings. Is there a work around for this? I'm on a cable connection that changes the IP lease about every three or four days.

The Learning Mode bug affects Outpost 1.0 only - the best workaround is to run in Block Most mode rather than Rules Wizard.

Well I'm back using Outpost 2.1 and it's working. I don't know what's going on but at this point I'm just accepting that it's OK.

ZAP suddenly ended my 15 day trail 12 days early then constantly crashed the system. Uninstalling it in safe mode was also not a joy but it eventually removed itself. I installed Outpost 2.1 to what I thought would be another no connection experience, but everything just started working, including the VPN connection.

Arn

Thread Information