Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Kernal?

Alternative Kernal?

Hey guys. First note, good job on the plugin, been using it for a long time .

I just recently noticed an update in blockpost. It went from .ini files to the registry. Looked good to me, but I removed it for now. It's really slow with the blocklist I use.

I'm satisfied with the one I'm using now (2nd newest w/ Alternative Kernal) but wondering if there will be an alternative kernal made for this new version? The newest was released on "August 14, 2004" and it's been a couple of months. Sorry if I seem rude but just wondering, no hard feelings ment .

Re: Alternative Kernal?

i believe everybody is waiting Outpost 2.5 and make them plugins compatible with this new version.. after that, can also improving... but there is no reason to work hard on a plugin that will be not compatible with 2.5 at this point..

this is my opinion, maybe i wrong, but everything here is getting "static" waiting for the 2.5...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMagik
    i believe everybody is waiting Outpost 2.5 and make them plugins compatible with this new version.. after that, can also improving... but there is no reason to work hard on a plugin that will be not compatible with 2.5 at this point..

this is my opinion, maybe i wrong, but everything here is getting "static" waiting for the 2.5...

Alex
    Oh that makes complete sense. Thanks for your input mate .

Ok now that 2.5 is out, will there be an alternative kernal released soon? I'll probably be waiting until this release to install 2.5, unless the new BP kernal works like the alternate.

Exclamation Re: Alternative Kernal?

The Outpost v2.1 alternate kernel doesnt work with 2.5, so the standard blokpost.dll has to be used for the plugin to work.

I really hope a 2.5 alternate kernel is made.

Regards,

BAM.

Sorry if I didn't open another topic, just because it would be useless.

Question: Alternative Kernel for BlockPost v1? I still use Outpost 1.0 because it's still freeware

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM
    The Outpost v2.1 alternate kernel doesnt work with 2.5, so the standard blokpost.dll has to be used for the plugin to work.

I really hope a 2.5 alternate kernel is made.
    Right. I get an Error on the Screen if i used the alternativ Kernel from Fazion
    So Please Fazion or someone else please release a new Kernel for large Blocklists.

PS: Sorry for me bad english.

I understand we are waiting for Fazion to compile a new one.
    I PMed Dmut, he said he is trying to contact Fazion and have it complied.
    Just be patient, for most of us it's going on as a hobby - meaning that we dont' have time to do it always when we want to.
    Best regards: Csimbi

Quote Originally Posted by Csimbi
    I understand we are waiting for Fazion to compile a new one.
    I PMed Dmut, he said he is trying to contact Fazion and have it complied.
    Just be patient, for most of us it's going on as a hobby - meaning that we dont' have time to do it always when we want to.
    Thanks for that information mate. I don't really care what time it gets done at, just wanted to know if it was being done at all.

Question Re: Alternative Kernal?

I don't know if I understand correctly, but after I've read this posts, I suppose that it is the reason why my blockpost (latest) with its alternative kernel (latest) doesn't work at all with my Outpost 2.5

And if I leave its original kernel, I can't load more than 100 IPs..... (?!?)
    LIFE IS LIFE

Win XP Pro sp3; PIV E8400; 2Gb CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3; ASUS P5E3; ASUS EN8800GTS 512Mb DDR3; HDD's 1810Gb

Mine appears to load my entire blocklist with the standard kernel and I havent actually experienced any performance issues despite it using the unoptimised search method...

Its definitely working as I get my normal 2000+ blocked ips everyday with it.

AndyWarrior, original kernel desn't have any "100 hosts" limits. you can use it with big lists without any probs.
    "How can someone win if winning means that someone loses?"
    Forgive my English, I'm from a country far, far away, but I will appreciate if you point me to my mistakes.

Talking Re: Alternative Kernal?

Hi
    Dmut, I'm sorry..... I forgot one zero.... it was 1000 entries (as described in a Fazion's post at http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/sho...05&postcount=1)

My Blacklist is made with just 25000 entries, so following your suggestion I can have a chance....

Crossing my fingers.... tks for your time mate
    LIFE IS LIFE

Win XP Pro sp3; PIV E8400; 2Gb CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3; ASUS P5E3; ASUS EN8800GTS 512Mb DDR3; HDD's 1810Gb

Hi
    Finally also for me the latest Blockpost version works without the alternative kernel installed

Tks mates
    LIFE IS LIFE

OK, I have now found that with the standard v2.5 blockpost kernel that it is not blocking everything it should, because I have the exact same blocklist in Blockpost and in eMule, and I still see packets from blocked IPs getting through to eMule, which then has to block it itself. So, there is definitely some blocked IPs filtering through the v2.5 Blockpost. This definitely did -not- happen with blockpost v2.1 and its alt kernel.

Thread Information