Thread: Conflict with Norton Internet Worm Protection

Conflict with Norton Internet Worm Protection

When I went to install Outpost I went to turn of Windows Firewall as required. However Windows security centre said that a Firewall was still on. This turned out to be Norton Internet worm protection as part of Norton anti-virus. After some dificulty I managed to get an answer from Symantic that Norton Worm protection does not conflict with Windows Firewall and I can have both on. I could not get a sensible response about whether i should turn the worm protection off before installing Outpost. Anybody know anything about this?

Re: Conflict with Norton Internet Worm Protection

Quote Originally Posted by gchdevon
    When I went to install Outpost I went to turn of Windows Firewall as required. However Windows security centre said that a Firewall was still on. This turned out to be Norton Internet worm protection as part of Norton anti-virus. After some dificulty I managed to get an answer from Symantic that Norton Worm protection does not conflict with Windows Firewall and I can have both on. I could not get a sensible response about whether i should turn the worm protection off before installing Outpost. Anybody know anything about this?
    Norton Internet worm protection is a "mini firewall" that protects your computer from incoming Internet traffic.

To avoid conflict with Outpost Firewall, Norton Internet worm protection should be disabled.

Thanks. I was thinking it was probably better to turn it off. Does Outpost provide the same functionality that Worm Protection does?

Norton's Worm Protection (NWP) filters out certain types of incoming traffic. Outpost (and other personal firewalls) will filter out all unsolicited incoming traffic (unless you create incoming rules to allow specific types) so it should be far superior in this regard.

NWP also limits the number of outgoing connections made by any application (which WinXP SP2 does also) - though this can help slow down the spread of malware from infected PCs it will also hamper file-sharing software and needs to be disabled in such cases.

Thread Information