Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing AFW.sys

Missing AFW.sys

Hi,

I've just installed Vista x64 on my machine and the latest version of Outpost Security Suite but whenever I load it up I get an outpost warning stating the following:

"Failed to load Outpost Security Suite Pro network operation driver.

Outpost Security Suite functionality is limited: failed to load AFW.SYS driver."

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Outpost twice now but I'm still getting this issue, I've checked the system32/drivers folder and AFW.sys is not present.

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to have to format.

Thanks

Re: Missing AFW.sys

Update: I ran the installer again whilst outpost was already installed and it's restored the afw.sys to the system32/drivers folder but I'm still getting the error.

Try uninstalling Outpost, clear the OP directory of any remaining files, then try again.
    If that doesn't then i reccomend you to download OP SS again from the website since the installer might be corrupt

I've now managed to fix this issue and I thought I'd post back incase anyone else experiences the same.

I found this guide on how to totally remove Outpost here:

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7173

It wasn't totally accurate for Vista but near enough that it got the job done, one additional thing I did do though was make sure I unchecked the Firewall Driver component from the local area network properties before I uninstalled Outpost.

For some odd reason removing outpost never gets rid of this entry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Species View Post
    I've now managed to fix this issue and I thought I'd post back incase anyone else experiences the same.

I found this guide on how to totally remove Outpost here:

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7173

It wasn't totally accurate for Vista but near enough that it got the job done, one additional thing I did do though was make sure I unchecked the Firewall Driver component from the local area network properties before I uninstalled Outpost.

For some odd reason removing outpost never gets rid of this entry.

Thanks
    The Extended Instructions do need an update, and it is useful to know that the firewall driver has to be manually removed first. Thanks for posting an update on this issue so other users can benefit.
    XP Professional SP3 (x86): Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0, Malware Defender 2.8, Avast 8.0 Free
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64): Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5, Avast 8.0 Free
    Ubuntu 10.04: ufw, Avast Linux Home Edition

On Demand (Windows): MBAM Free
    Other: NetGear DG834GT (DGTeam), Acronis True Image Home 12.0, PerfectDisk 11.0

..I've just installed Vista x64 on my machine and the latest version of Outpost Security Suite but whenever I load it up I get an outpost warning stating the following:"Failed to load Outpost Security Suite Pro network operation driver.
    Make sure when there is a Microsoft C++ runtime error you DO NOT try to cancel the installtion, but leave to keep going.

Outpost Security Suite functionality is limited: failed to load AFW.SYS driver."
    Thanks

If there was no MS C++ error, I will recommed not using the latest versions of OSS but the last one before.

Just to remind everyone, there is a new utility installed with Outpost called "clean.exe". It uninstalls everything. Boot to Safe Mode, then run clean.exe. Works great for me.

Rah
    Robb Selby
    Beta Tester
    Windows XP Pro (SP3), Outpost Security Suite Pro 2009, Firefox 3, Thunderbird, Ad-Aware 2008, Maxthon 2, Yahoo! Messenger (9.0.0.1389 BETA), DriveImage XML, ThreatFire, RegistryBooster 2, SpyEraser.

Well, I just uninstall Outpost when I need to and then make sure that all files and folders are showing and in Vista remove all Agnitum folders before reinstalling Outpost, this works a treat for me. I have never unticked Agnitum Firewall Driver in local area network.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah View Post
    Just to remind everyone, there is a new utility installed with Outpost called "clean.exe". It uninstalls everything. Boot to Safe Mode, then run clean.exe. Works great for me.
    Thanks I'll remember that for future use.

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded and installed 30 day trial of Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 ver. 6.5.2358.316.0607, and had same missing AFW.SYS error message. Uninstalled as you above described, many times, as local administrator, without success. Tried to install on a Virtual XP, it was successful, and AFW.SYS have been created in Windows\System32\Drivers. Copied to real machine in safe mode, and there was still existing the loading error message.
    This time I got an idea, as my laptop is part of a domain, domain policies are applied. Checked with gpresult, and found that local administrators have no rights to install any driver, or local printers...
    So uninstalled Outpost again (in safe mode), with clean.exe utility, restarted XP, started Outpost install as domain user AND local admin, successfully!
    So I have 30 more days to decide to keep (buy) Outpost or change to other, maybe free firewall. I think I going to buy it...
    I hope my case will help others, who had same issue with missing AFW.SYS.

Have a nice day, thanks for this forum.

Hello SirRobin,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the domain policy issue as a source for the problem.

i'm having this issue now after i did a repair install of XP. just to summarize i have to uninstall, clean registry entries so that there is no trace of OSS and uncheck the firewall driver in LAN properties then begin new installation right?

Edit; is the agnitum firewall driver a vital component or just an optional layer of proection?
    Last edited by littlebigchief; 09-10-2008 at 10:17.

Yes, that is right, just delete the firewall drivers, if they are still there, and yes you do need the firewall driver for it to work properly and it will re-install the drivers and you should have no problems then.

sorted.

i just unchecked the firewall driver in LAN properties, yep its a vital component without it OSS does next to nothing!

re-installed after unchecking the firewall driver, needed a registry clear out to get rid of the firewall entry in LAN properties before new installation. no more missing AFW.sys warnings...

Unhappy Re: Missing AFW.sys

Hi all,

I have tried doing a clean install twice now with no luck, i am still getting the AFW.SYS driver is missing

I have followed the clean uninstall list, i do not have any other virus or firewall running. The only thing from your instructions here that i am not sure of is the "unchecked the firewall driver in LAN properties" Could someone give me step by step instructions for that to make sure i am doing the right thing?

Any further help would be much appreciated. I just bought Outpost Security Suite Pro and i would really like to have it working properly.

Thanks in advance,
    Sabrina

I am running Windows XP with service pack 3.
    Last edited by Sabrina; 09-28-2008 at 00:07.

Thread Information