Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Explorer crash with op_shell.dll

Windows Explorer crash with op_shell.dll

Hi everybody,

I don't know if this is the place to report bugs, it's the only "support" on Outpost Firewall I've found. Please correct me if not.

I'm suffering crashes of Windows Explorer due to op_shell.dll. The error is easy to reproduce (it happens everytime to me), you have just to right-clic on a disk drive (not folders or files). Before the context menu appears, Windows Explorer crashes.

I've enabled/disabled this shell extension with ShellExView, and the crash only happens when op_shell.dll is enabled.

My data:
    - Windows Vista x64 Business SP1, updated, no SP2 because it's not available in Windows Update to me (because it's spanish?).
    - Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 ver. 6.7 (2957.446.0711)

The post is just in case another one is suffering the same thing, or an outpost developer sees it.

Re: Windows Explorer crash with op_shell.dll

new version out today, you may want to install & try that.

thread linky

one thing fixed was an explorer addon for IE problem in 64 bit systems.
    Last edited by KronckeW; 09-24-2009 at 05:44.
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

Win7 x64 SP1, i7 quad core 3770k, 16GB ram, Custom build PC wi. Asus P8Z77-I MB, nVidia GTX650, Firefox 35.0a1 x64,
    Thunderbird 35.0a1 x64, IE11, Asus DSL-N55U router, Outpost Security Suite9.1 (4652.701.1951),
    in-house IT Support Dept. consisting of two Greyhounds, both of which are now very fast angels, and one Saluki Lurcher

No way. Different version of Outpost, but same version of op_shell.dll -> same crash.

Thanks anyway.

To any of you to whom it doesn't crash: what does outpost add to the disk drive context menu? Can I live without it?

I have Outpost Firewall installed, not the suite, and have no op_shell.dll on my machine. I have to assume this has to do with the anti-malware portion of the suite. Perhaps it is a right-click context menu option to scan files, drives etc...for malware.
    When you right-click a file, do you get a scan for malware (or something like that) in the context menu?

This is a user-run forum. If no one comes up with a solution, then please contact Agnitum directly:

Online Form
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/contact.php
    and/or Chat
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/chat.php

I am sorry I cannot help more.

Kronckew,
    On my 32 bit machine, it looks like the toolbar button (IE8) for Quicktune (the add-on in question) is missing...

i didn't have an op_shell.dll either.

did you do a clean install? could that dll have been a leftover from the old version? or is it a 64 bit only library?

in case of problems, it's a good idea to save the 'clean.exe' from the OP install directory somewhere else, uninstall OP, reboot into safe mode and run the clean.exe to remove all traces of OP that may have been left. it will restart your pc when it finishes, there is no on-screen progress window, it runs in the background. when you are restarted you can install again for a clean install.

the only windows explorer context item i have is the 'scan for malware'

i do not use internet explorer 8 much myself, but it does not have a quicktune item in the toolbar customization thing. i also am only 32 bit.
    Last edited by KronckeW; 09-24-2009 at 17:47.
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

Win7 x64 SP1, i7 quad core 3770k, 16GB ram, Custom build PC wi. Asus P8Z77-I MB, nVidia GTX650, Firefox 35.0a1 x64,
    Thunderbird 35.0a1 x64, IE11, Asus DSL-N55U router, Outpost Security Suite9.1 (4652.701.1951),
    in-house IT Support Dept. consisting of two Greyhounds, both of which are now very fast angels, and one Saluki Lurcher

Quote Originally Posted by minoka View Post
    When you right-click a file, do you get a scan for malware (or something like that) in the context menu?
    No, I can't find any additional outpost option either in files or folders.

Quote Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
    i didn't have an op_shell.dll either.

did you do a clean install? could that dll have been a leftover from the old version? or is it a 64 bit only library?
    Yes, a clean install on a nearly clean Windows. Maybe you have the outpost firewall free and it's a "Pro" thing?

Just in case, have you tried an online malware scan of that file, for example
    http://www.virustotal.com/
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/es

i have the full version installed in win7 and xpsp3. i'm reasonably sure minoka also has the full version. if you right click the op_shell.dll filename in windows explorer, pick properties, and look at the version info, it might tell you which version of OP it belonged to.
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

A this point, I would try a re-install using 'clean.exe' as indicated in post 5 above and making sure there is no Agnitum/outpost firewall pro anywhere on my machine and no op_shell.dll anywhere either before re-installing.

P.S. I do have the full version of Outpost Firewall Pro

I have op_shell.dll in the install folder of the suite. It's the Outpost Shell Extension.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Finally someone with the same file. Do you have the same crash? If not, does it add anything to the disk drive context menu?

The dll data:
    Outpost shell extension
    Version: 6.71.2983.10523
    Product name: Agnitum Outpost
    Copyright: 1999-2009 Agnitum Ltd.
    Size: 239KiB

No, to both questions. My install is in x32 Windows 7.

The properties for the file are basically similar to yours except mine is 181Kb and dated 8/13/09 but I'm running a beta.

I do have "Scan for Malware" in the context menu but that's normal.

However, note that I have the suite installed and not just firewall. Because others report this file doesn't apply to the firewall only install, like you have, then I would also agree that a clean install of OP would be a good thing to try.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

The exact same thing is happening to me on Windows Ultimate X64 (retail). Clean install. After uninstalling outpost (and running "clean" in safe mode) functionality went back o normal. Hope its fixed in the next version

just thought i'd update, just installed win7 x64 on my spare pentium D pc i am rebuilding, installed latest OSS64 6.7.1, is working fine & no crash from windows explorer. op_shell.dll is version 6.7.1.2983.10523
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

Thread Information