Thread: How to close port 22

How to close port 22

Manny, I was an early Outpost user V1.0, and have since came back to OP. All my ports are closed with the exception of Port 22. I have searched high and low all over here and the internet for an answer on how to close port 22 to no avail. Let me explain my unique situation. I live in a motel with wireless. There is NO security on it. No password, no wpa, no nothing. So I said to myself, self, lets use OP, its a great firewall. Well, it is, but I cannot for the life of me find how to close port 22 or if 22 is even a dangerous port to leave open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, not that it matters, but I've had a lifetime license since V 1.0.
    To succeed in life, you need three things:
    a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Re: How to close port 22

I moved your post to a new thread so it can be seen by itself without distractions of the other posts.

As far as the license, it doesn't much matter for the folks here at the forums as long as it is legit. We are users like you, who like to help out. Your license arrangements is between you and Agnitum.

To the open port question - A firewall doesn't open/close ports but only allows for traffic to pass or not with that port. Some application opens the port, OP identifies it as such, and may or may not use it for something. To actually close the port you'll need to identify the app which opened it in the first place and change it's settings.

Port 22 is used by Secure Shell (SSH)—used for secure logins, file transfers (scp, sftp) and port forwarding. Some pcAnywhere services are hosted there too. The OP Used Ports section will tell you what application is keeping that port open. Use that information to go to the app and terminate what it may be doing.

There has been a recent spike in activity on port 22, so if it's truly open then it should be closed.

Use this GRC probe to this port 22 and please tell us what it says?

Finally, you can use OP to globally block traffic on port 22 but, of course, that will block it for everything including any legitimate traffic but does have the side benefit that it's very simple to do. Here are the exact details: http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...0096&lang=en#6

Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Manny Carvalho; 11-08-2010 at 08:07.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thread Information