Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outpost 7.5 Release Candidate 1 is Available

Outpost 7.5 Release Candidate 1 is Available

Outpost Security Suite Pro 7.5 RC1, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 RC1, Outpost Antivirus Pro 7.5 RC1

Supported OS: Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows Server 2008, W7

Build number: 3701.574.1664.464.

What’s Fixed:
    • Blocking by keywords issues;
    • Issues while watching YouTube;
    • SmartDecision technology improvements: several issues and false positives fixed;
    • Self-protection mechanism improved on x64 platform;
    • Performance issues on Windows 7;
    • Issues while working with torrent clients (including performance issues);
    • Installation issues;
    • Anti-Malware component issues;
    • Several minor and interface issues.
    It's available Here: http://www.agnitum.com/lp/outpost-7-5-beta.php

Please remember that although this is a Release Candidate this is still in the beta stage and may contain bugs. Place your general comments about this version in this thread. Start a new thread if significant discussion is needed for your issue.

News: http://www.agnitum.com/news/2011-05-...-candidate.php
    Last edited by Manny Carvalho; 05-27-2011 at 04:27.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Re: Outpost 7.5 Release Candidate 1 is Available

It is the first beta of version 7.5 I install and I am VERY happy to see we now have a "purge" button for the application rules (really nice to see the developers listen to suggestions when possible )
    So far, not many problem (I am running in auto-learn mode since I just reinstalled my computer and didn't save the configuration file):
    - foobar2000 (freeware audio media player) take a very long time to paint its interface (>30 seconds vs. < 3 before outpost security suite installation)
    - Some initial problems with Zoom Player 8. Auto-learn didn't create all the rules automatically and I wasn't fast enough when clicking on "allow". Restarting it two times and clicking on "allow" to each prompt solved the problem (it's an application I trust).
    - I get an access violation message when I right click on a rar file and use winrar context menu to unpack files, it used to work fine (if I open the file with winrar and drag and drop the content, it extract normally so I would guess something is interfering with the shell extension).
    Last edited by JLA; 05-28-2011 at 00:22.

I can't replicate foobar2000 v1.1.5 paint issue and neither any problem with rar files using Winrar x64 shell extension. I don't have ZP8 but I do have ZP7 and it works fine.

Thank you jmjsc, it is strange because this problems appeared right after I installed Outpost Security Suite. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it was a clean install of Outpost with no existing rules, I am not sure. Later today I will try to remove Outpost temporarily and see if it solves the issues or not (running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 btw).

It is strange I uninstalled Outpost, rebooted and all problems were gone (as I expected). After that, I reinstalled Outpost, rebooted, went to the auto-learn mode, tried all 3 programs (foobar ... ) and the problems I had yesterday are gone Except for reinstalling, I didn't change anything so I guess something went wrong yesterday during the first installation. Anyway, everything seems to be okay now

That is good, sometimes Outpost requires a few reboots to totally get up to speed.

After upgrading and overwriting version 7.1 (importing the previous configuration) I'm finding that version 7.5 RC1 writes an error message "NTLMLogin resulted in hr = 0x8004100e" (always the same message) to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemprox.log every 500 ms. So there's constant hard disk activity even when my PC is idle. That is a major issue, I'd say. CPU usage is OK. WinXP 32-bit SP3 English, Outpost Security Suite. The only way to stop writing to that log file seems to be exiting (terminating) Agnitum.

Quote Originally Posted by step View Post
    After upgrading and overwriting version 7.1 (importing the previous configuration) I'm finding that version 7.5 RC1 writes an error message "NTLMLogin resulted in hr = 0x8004100e" (always the same message) to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemprox.log every 500 ms. So there's constant hard disk activity even when my PC is idle. That is a major issue, I'd say. CPU usage is OK. WinXP 32-bit SP3 English, Outpost Security Suite. The only way to stop writing to that log file seems to be exiting (terminating) Agnitum.
    Doesn't happen for me in W7x64. Report it to Agnitum support.

These WMI logs don't exist since Vista. In XP, that error listed in wbemprox.log most likely indicates a permission issue. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...x#wbemprox.log for more details.

I suggest you try installing 7.5 RC1 cleanly rather than updating over the old version and let it run a day or two in auto-learn.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

@jmjsc Thanks, I did report it.
    @Manny Thanks, following your pointer I was able to disable WMI error logging on XP. It's just a work-around that masks the whole issue, but at least now I can use my PC normally. WMI management: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=VS.85).aspx
    P.S. I like this RC, by the way.

I'm glad that at least you found a workaround. This RC is working very well for me as well.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Carvalho View Post
    I'm glad that at least you found a workaround. This RC is working very well for me as well.
    Now I am up in the big leagues with Windows 7 64 bit, and no problems at all with RC-1. Now I have to change my user name in the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by W-XP View Post
    Now I am up in the big leagues with Windows 7 64 bit, and no problems at all with RC-1. Now I have to change my user name in the forum?
    Easy enough if you really want to.... I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. The silence on this release is amazing. Surely, somebody has to have found a bug somewhere.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Yeah, I have found at least 1 problem which compounded another.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Carvalho View Post
    The silence on this release is amazing. Surely, somebody has to have found a bug somewhere.
    After a few days, and the small problems I had at the beginning no issues at all (and I use my computer about 12 hours/day).
    The only thing I have noticed is the fact that it still asks me confirmations for some programs even in auto-learn mode but I am not sure if it's a bug or simply a security feature (it doesn't do that on well known programs, only on less commonly used freeware - Flexible Renamer for example). Anyway, it's not really a problem and it only needs a confirmation after that, all is fine.

I must admit, at the beginning I was a bit worried to install the beta (when a software as important as a firewall + antivirus has problems, it can be VERY bad) but so far I must admit I am VERY happy with what I am seeing

Thread Information