Thread: System Attempts to listen to port 80

System Attempts to listen to port 80

Using Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 7.5 (3720.574.1668) ,in auto learn mode , on windows 7 64 bit laptop ,i notice i always get the attached pop up ,which when allowed, results in the global rule ...see second pic.Is this normal? and safe?,and why doesn't auto learn automatically create the rule or protocol?.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New config and auto learn

Do you have any services/drivers which listens on port 80? You need to analyse your system to find out.

Hi..can you suggest a program that would allow me to find out that information?.Ive looked through outpost logs but cant see anything ,that would give me a clue as to what application "system" is
    tia

Kernel mode drivers runs inside "System". I would go to Device Manager, click View, select "show hidden devices" and go through and check those first.

Process activity doesn't have any options to show which port an application is listening on as far as i can see?.The used ports show "system" using tcpv6 protocol ,but doesn't name any application.I guess this must be a windows 7 thing?. My main concern though is by allowing it ,it creates the global rule shown in post 1,however tcpv6 seems to be some sort or internet protocol that should be allowed/?.Next time it pops up ill try not allowing it and see if anything untoward happens.
    EDIT...
    Looking at firewall only avast is using port 80 but the protocol is tcp ,and direction always seems to be outbound.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bassbag; 07-10-2011 at 04:00.

System traffic refers to network activity that is not related to any installed applications. With a PID of 4 this likely means that this port is opened by a system driver/service running at the NDIS level. That makes it a little hard to trace down what that might exactly be since it's also likely to be hosted by svchost.exe.

Since it's using TCP v6 it's not likely to be malware trying to open a web server. It's still a little early in the game for this. You can look at the Used Ports and see if any traffic is being sent by adding the extra columns of bytes sent/rcvd.

I also have this entry and since its web related I looked through my running services and discovered that the World Wide Web Publishing Service [W3SVC] is responsible for this. Disabling this service causes the port to stop listening. This service is part of the Internet Information Services (IIS) that manages the HTTP protocol and HTTP performance counters. It seems perfectly safe to me to allow this service to be running.

There are other causes for port 80 to be listening so try stopping this service temporarily and see if that's what this is for you.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Hi Manny..
    Thats great detective work.According to blackviper that service isnt installed by default in windows 7?
    http://www.blackviper.com/wiki/World...ishing_Service
    http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17...onfigurations/
    I think ill google a little more on it and just disable it in the mean time.

Maybe so but mine was running and frankly I'm not sure how that happened. Just look and see in Computer Management. Right click Computer > Manage and open up the Services. See if it's running.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Mine was running too.I shut down outpost ,stopped and then disabled the service.Since disabling that service the entry has disappeared Manny.I haven't noticed any problems so far by doing it either ,so im going to leave it disabled for now.

Well, good. I bet this is has something to do with .NET updates but it's going to be hard to really trace down why it is running. I'm not totally sure why it is running but it probably won't hurt to leave it disabled. Just keep it in mind and if something fails that you can't understand why turn this service back on and experiment. Pleae come back and tell us if something fails

As far as your auto-learn question - Auto-learn has evolved in v 7.5. SmartDecision is part of it and doesn't create rules for what it considers unsafe. We are all still learning about this new feature and figure out exactly how it works. In fact, I was surprised when I saw that your first attachment doesn't include the SmarDecision in the dialog. That would be good behavior in my opinion if that's really part of it. One wouldn't want to give "silent" permission for a web server to be set up.

I'm going to change the title of this thread to be more inclusive of thread content in order for others to find it.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Thread Information