Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outpost 7.5 Auto-Learn Blocking Java 7 HTTP

Outpost 7.5 Auto-Learn Blocking Java 7 HTTP

I am running a java application that does some web scraping using Commons HTTPClient but it is unable to connect to the Internet unless the firewall policy is set to Allow Most or lower.

To solve this I recently started a new configuration for Outpost 7.5 and turned on the auto-learn mode. Even so, when my application attempts to connect while Outpost is in rules wizard mode, HTTP is completely blocked. Also of interest, when the application is blocked I can see the rule "Allow outbound HTTP for Java" active on Outpost's Network Activity screen; however no bytes are sent or received.
    Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?
    Thanks!

Re: Outpost 7.5 Auto-Learn Blocking Java HTTP

If you see nothing blocked in any of the other logs then there's a possibility that a conflict exists with the drivers which causes the problem. If that's the case then it would require Agnitum to take a look at your logs. Although you might try turning off content filtering in the Application rules for that app and see if that helps.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thank you. Turning off content filtering did not help, but the Packet Logs report shows blocked packets to target port 80 with flag SYN and reason "Packet to closed port". I am not sure where the "Packet to closed port" rule is coming from though.

A packet to a closed port usually means that a device on your network broadcast some network traffic and that PC didn't have a port open to allow it. It's likely coming from the LAN access levels. It's probably not related to your issue. Agnitum may need to look through your logs: http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...000144&lang=en
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thank you. I submitted a report + logs using the link you provided.

Hi

Sorry my english is very bad

I happens the same, I have Jdownloader, and the port 80 html is block for firewall, when I copy a link doesnīt load.
    I've tried with the way the auto-learn mode, manually and I canīt get it to work

Hopefully be resolved

Thanks

Does anyone else have problems with jdownloader?

Thanks

Are you guys using Java 7? It isn't entirely compatible with Outpost.

Thank you. Yes, i am using Java 7. Do you know when a compatible version of Outpost will be available?

In all cases that I've seen regarding "packet to closed port messages", this message indicates to me that an inbound rule is needed somewhere. You need an http rule ( TCP port 80), direction inbound, but what program needs the rule. I think that if you set the firewall mode to "block most", you may see blocked messages in the firewall log. Otherwise, a startup program or a service needs to be restarted after Outpost is fully operational (icon showing in the desktop tray).

Oops, I forgot to mention this. When creating the inbound http rule, it's the local port that needs TCP 80, not the remote port.

Checking the inbound rules for Windows firewall may also be of some help. When Java or the problem program was installed, the installation program probably created Windows firewall rules for you. I will try over the weekend to have a more useful solution for you, if the problem hasn't been resolved yet.

First off, I was misunderstanding your problem. I thought that your problem was incomng "packet to closed port" messages, but I see now that the direction is outbound. I'm not having a problem when using a proxy server (Privoxy). Without a proxy server, it looks like I will be able to make IPV6 connections, but not IPV4 connections. Sorry guys. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to have a solution anytime soon.

IMHO - Outpost desperately needs a feature that allows a user to specify a port of interest and see the hierarchy of rules affecting that port as well as which processes have recently attempted to use that port. This would incredibly simplify our situation. As the user interface currently stands the information is probably all there however, it is extremely difficult to hunt down the source of connectivity problems... for a start the Used Ports and Network Activity screens could be converted from a tree to a sortable table. Alternately the option for a port column could be added to the Process Activity Screen.
    Last edited by Toaster; 01-24-2012 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    IMHO - Outpost desperately needs a feature that allows a user to specify a port of interest and see the hierarchy of rules affecting that port as well as which processes have recently attempted to use that port. This would incredibly simplify our situation. As the user interface currently stands, it is extremely difficult to hunt down the source of connectivity problems... for a start the Used Ports and Network Activity screens could be converted from a tree to a sortable table. Alternately the option for a port column could be added to the Process Activity Screen.
    Please send in as a suggestion

http://www.agnitum.com/support/contact.php

Thread Information