Thread: Computer will not boot normally; having to press F8 or F12 key just to log on

Computer will not boot normally; having to press F8 or F12 key just to log on

Good evening everyone,

Description of problem:

The boot problem described below began occurring after going to my homnepage on the Internet using Firefox browser. For some reason, I was unable to get FIrefox to close the pages and get back to my desktop screen. I had to do a <CTRL>, <ALT>, <DEL> to get off the Internet. (Homepage is my ISP log-in screen). After getting back to the desktop screen, I did a restart. This is the point where the computer would not boot normally.

Computer will not boot normally, either a cold boot or a restart. The only way it WILL boot is by pressing the F8 key repeatedly (or the F12 key) while doing a boot. It does NOT present the screen from which to choose how to boot (i.e. normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc). It just does a normal boot. I also note a "whistling" sound emittting from the computer (almost like the sound a coffee pot on the stove makes as the steam whistles out a vent - just not as loud).

The sound stops after the system finally starts booting in Normal Mode. The system seems to be taking longer to boot, as well as, access the Internet, or go from one page on this website to another. RAM was upgraded from 512 MB to 2 GB a few days ago, and computer performance was significantly enhanced. NO problems like this have occurred before today.

In checking the Event Log, I find the following:

Error: Service Control Manager

The following boot start or system start driver(s) failed to load: MpFilter

Error: The MsMpSvc service failed to start due to the following error:

System cannot find the path specified

Error: Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial addresses

I have no idea what this all means, how it occured, or how to resolve it.

Resolution measures attempted thus far:

1. Full scans with Avast AV, SAS, and MBAM. No malware found.
    2. Have tried multiple cold boots, as well as, restarts from the desktop with no change.
    3. System Restore to 24 hours prior to this incident. No effect.

Any help in resolving this problem would be much appreciated. (System specs are shown below in signature line).

Thank you for your time and any help!

Re: Computer will not boot normally; having to press F8 or F12 key just to log on

Thanks very much for your reply, minoka! Unfortunately, this computer has never had Windows Live One Care on it.

Re: Computer will not boot normally; having to press F8 or F12 key just to log on

Go back a few more days with System Restore. If that does nothing take out the RAM and reseat it. While the RAM is out test the machine and see if the new RAM is part of the problem.

Is the system you are talking about the one described in your signature.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows 2002-2015

Thanks very much for your respective replies, minoka and Manny!

(For Manny):

In going back further in the Event Viewer, I see these same errors (mentioned in my OP) being recorded all the way to November 2011. But, I had no problems until yesterday. The RAM was installed by a pc tech back on January 6th, as I...to put it bluntly...have no confidence in attempting to mess with anything internally. I have no doubt I would end up with more serious problems than I already have. Shelling out more $$$ to haul this computer back to the tech isn't an option for me (live on a limited disability income). Perhaps at some future time when I have enough $$ put aside again...I can return to the pc tech. For now, I'll just have to deal with the issue as I've been doing.

The system I refer to is the one shown in my signature line.

Thanks very much again for all the help on this one!

Regards,

Computer will not boot normally, either a cold boot or a restart. The only way it WILL boot is by pressing the F8 key repeatedly (or the F12 key) while doing a boot. It does NOT present the screen from which to choose how to boot (i.e. normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc). It just does a normal boot. I also note a "whistling" sound emittting from the computer (almost like the sound a coffee pot on the stove makes as the steam whistles out a vent - just not as loud).
    Will the computer boot normally if the keyboard is unplugged?

Hi FirePost,

I am very hesitant to go attempting another restart just to see if it boots with the keyboard unplugged. I wasn't able to even bring up the complete Welcome log-in screen this morning, until I just happened to try pressing the <ESC> key. If I attempt to do another restart, I may not be able to get back on at all. Given the error messages I mentioned in my OP, it would seem there is some major problem with the OS.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Regards,

(For FirePost):

Since it seems I can still manage to log-on to my computer by pressing the F12 key when it first hangs and then the <ESC> key to bring up the Windows log-in screen, I decided to try unplugging the keyboard like you suggested in your last post. After doing so...the boot problem is gone!

I tried re-plugging the keyboard into the same slot again (after powering off), and rebooting. The problem returned. The same is true when I try plugging the keyboard into another USB slot on the front of the machine.

In addition, I tried using a couple of spare keyboards I had in the closet, but for some reason, neither works.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Regards,

In addition, I tried using a couple of spare keyboards I had in the closet, but for some reason, neither works.
    The system BIOS is complaining by those beeps.
    I presume the non-working keyboards "couple spare" are also USB. You may need to (re-)enable USB keyboard support and possibly "legacy USB" support. See if you can get access to a PS/2 keyboard to try. If your system boots normally, then setting the BIOS is an easy solution.

Other solutions would require opening the system up and looking.
    Last edited by FirePost; 27 Jan 2012 at 08:40.

Hi FirePost,

The spare keyboards are the kind with a 6-pin circular connector. NONE of them will work on this machine. I tried plugging each of them in both of the two ports on the back of the machine. As far as I can tell when I rebooted and pressed F2 to enter Setup, the legacy support is enabled. This is a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 (Intellitype Pro) keyboard.

I also tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling it via the CD that came with it. Also, went on-line at Microsoft to update the software. Still...the only way the computer will boot normally is if I unplug the keyboard before rebooting.

I'm thinking maybe this keyboard is just plain shot and I need to go shell out another $40 or $50 for a new one. What a waste...given this thing is only about 2 years old.

Greetings again FirePost,

UPDATE: After doing some more research on-line, I found the procedure for plugging in one of the spare PS2 keyboards I have on hand. According to what I read, the keyboard must be installed while the computer is shut down. (There were a number of warnings I repeatedly saw about not doing a "hot-plugging"). After plugging the PS2 keyboard into the purple slot on the back of the machine, I started the computer and the boot problem has now been resolved!

This has certainly been a real ordeal...these past couple of weeks, trying to ascertain the reason for the boot issue. The keyboard being the source is something I would never have thought of.

In closing, I appreciate very much all your help with this issue! Now it's off to bed for me!

Best regards,

Older technologies, like the PS2 keyboard, aren't hot swappable and require being plugged in before the machine starts. Those beeps at the beginning, as Firepost stated, are BIOS self test messages telling you what is wrong. They have a meaning and probably would have told you, when decoded, about the keyboard problem.

Nice troubleshooting Firepost, the keyboard didn't enter my mind at all. It's been a long time since I've seen an issue with the keyboard. Nicely done!
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows 2002-2015

Thanks for the additional info, Manny.

Best regards...as always!

I am glad to hear it is resolved now.

In my case when I uninstalled keyboard driver from device manager and started laptop without keyboard connected, I don't need to press F8.

Thread Information