Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: file and folder lock functionality is not working in outpost pro 7.5.2

Re: file and folder lock functionality is not working in outpost pro 7.5.2

Quote Originally Posted by spc3rd View Post
    Good morning everyone,

I've been following this post as I have the same problem with the File/Folder Lock function not working. In post # 26, Hany3 described the issue as being with a particular Avast AV file. As I also have Avast Free, I'm guessing this same compatability problem is affecting me...even though I have all Agnitum files placed in the Avast exclusions list. (I did not have this problem with the last version of OPFW).

Could someone please post the step-by-step instructions on how to rename that Avast file specified to resolve this compatability problem? Also, where can I find the uninstall or clean tool for removing OPFW Pro?

Thanks for your time and any info.
    1-reboot in safe mode
    2-rename aswsnx.sys found in both system32/drivers and in avast installation folder
    3-reboot normally

although we did that "experimentally" to detect such compatibility issue , i don't recommend that as a permanent solution as it may greatly affect the avast antivirus abilities and may lead to more dangerous issues with avast itself . "IMHO disabling a major driver inside antivirus software is not a benign intervention"
    the only solution is either u get the OSS as manny and minoka previously said or stick with avast and outpost without driver editing and sacrifice such functionality in outpost until it's fixed in near feature

best regards
    Dr. Hany Samir

Quote Originally Posted by spc3rd View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Also, where can I find the uninstall or clean tool for removing OPFW Pro?

Thanks for your time and any info.
    This tool, clean.exe, is found in your OP install folder. If you no longer have it it can be downloaded here: http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...000159&lang=en
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thanks very much, hany3, Manny, and minoka for your respective repliew!

I did submnit a ticket to Agnitum Support. They requested 3 logs...which I sent a few hours ago. Maybe they will have some other ideas. For the time being, it appears I'll just have to forego using the file/folder lock option. It's puzzling that I did not have this problem before...and now it just shows up out of the blue.

Regards to everyone!

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

Good morning everyone,

Pasted below is the response I received this morning from Polina at Agnitum Support. This remedy is the same as what Hany3 mentioned receiving. I emailed Polina back to inquire if this renaming of the file will pose any problems with Avast executing properly. (BTW...The problem has resolved after I renamed the file) Will post back when I receive a reply back.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that one of the conflict drivers that belongs to third-party software is responsible for this issue. Please, try to rename the file temporarily using the following instruction:

1. Load Windows in Safe mode.
    (please, see the following article for details on how to reboot in Windows Safe mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us)
    2. Open "Start - Control Panel - Folder options - View" and untick "Hide extensions for known filetypes". All extensions will now be visible to you.
    2. Find the following file: aswsnx.sys (usually, it can be found in the following folder: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\). If you are using Windows Search, make sure you ticked option to search in hidden and system folder as well.
    3. Rename it to aswsnx.sys.tmp
    4. Reboot your computer in Normal mode, and check, whether this problem would re-occur with modified configuration.

Please, tell us about the results.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience.

--
    All the best,
    Polina Komarova
    Agnitum Support

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

I don't have Avast but a Google search shows that aswsnx.sys is the avast! Virtualization Driver. Anything that uses that functionality will be disabled if that driver is renamed.

It seems to me that you either use one or the other functionality. Since this is dealing with the AV functionality if it were me I'd live without file and folder lock.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thanks very much for the info, Manny.

I changed the file name back to its original one, and as before, the file/folder lock function in OPFW once again does not work like it's supposed to. I don't know if this problem has been caused by the current version of OPFW Pro or current Avast version...but something is different since I did not experience this problem before.

I did post an inquiry in the Avast Forums regarding this problem. Maybe the Avast staff will pick up on it. I would hope that both Avast & the OPFW staff can address this compatability issue in their next respective program updates. The file/folder lock option in OPFW is the simplest way for me to add a little more security to the folders/files stored on the USB flash drive.

Best regards,

This activity with Avast mainly started with Version 7:

http://advantage77.com/blog/2012/03/...and-solutions/

http://forums.techguy.org/general-se...-problems.html

Bigger numbers are not always better....

Thread Information