Thread: Anyone know what acs.exe does

Anyone know what acs.exe does

Seems to run when it wants to and right now using 40-50% of cpu. Windows 7 32 bit. Ver. 7.5.2
    Ken

Re: Anyone know what acs.exe does

Sorry, but are you being an Outpost old-timer serious? This forum has a search function that will yield all the information you are after. Guess it is easier to just dump a one line question and sit back waiting for the answers to pour in. Excuse me, perhaps somebody else has more patience today...

Be nice.

ACS.exe is the Agnitum Outpost Service which manages firewall policies, proactive protection and user mode filtering. It, along with OP_mon.exe, the Outpost User Interface, form the basis of the product.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

I did do a search for acs.exe and got nothing.
    Ken

Thanks Manny
    Ken

You're welcome.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Since you did do a search, I take my words back with apologies. Perhaps one of the moderators can check if the forum's search facility works properly, as there should have been plenty of relevant hits that would have answered Ken's question, including possible reasons for high CPU usage (torrent-traffic, content filtering, detailed logging, a conflict with other -partially removed- security software, other on-access antivirus scanners running in parallel etc.).

Forums, not just this one, have a dreadful search capability for small words. Small words are often used and dramatically increase the size of the database and significantly decrease performance, so they are typically left out of the database. An alternative is to use Google to search sites to resolve this problem.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

I tried a search for acs.exe because of the same problem of high cpu on a laptop. Searching for such a short file name does not work on the forum, but try this in Google: site:outpostfirewall.com acs.exe

Anyway, I have exactly the same problem on one PC, a Thinkpad T43 running Windows 7. The issue has lasted over several versions of Outpost, although I think it might be a Windows 7 issue because I can't remember the same issue with XP.

It has got to the point with this laptop where Outpost is going to have to go, as it reduces the laptop to a crawl, as acs.exe can take up to 70% of CPU at times. I have looked through the various forum threads that are highlighted in the above search, but although there are many references to the problem, there do not appear to be any solutions.

What other anti-virus/spyware software are you using? In addition to Outpost, I am running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and NOD32. I don't run Malwarebytes on my other two windows machines.

There you may be on to something... It is not a good idea to run multiple virus scanners in parallel, leading to a race situation where all are trying to obtain first access with the added risk that all fail to get it. At any rate, this will increase the likeliness of conflicts and for sure increase CPU usage. Offline use of MBAM as an occasional second opinion virus & malware scanner should be OK.

acs.exe can show a large cpu usage while doing anti-malware scans, which can occur automatically after updates or via schedule options. they do seem to occur occasionally at inopportune times. check/adjust your settings. the default quick scan settings i find a bit much, with smartscan enabled i feel they can be toned down a bit. how much is up to you. i do a scheduled scan once a week at a time when i'm not normally using the pc. i also use a third part utility, prolasso, that monitors and adjusts cpu usage, priority, etc. for all running apps and services, in order to maintain usability - it does what it says on the tin...with it my acs.exe is 25% during a scan, 75% when it's not restraining it. it shows next to nothing for cpu use when not scanning.
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

Win7 x64 SP1, i7 quad core 3770k, 16GB ram, Custom build PC wi. Asus P8Z77-I MB, nVidia GTX650, Firefox 36.0a1 x64,
    Thunderbird 36.0a1 x64, IE11, Asus DSL-N55U router, Outpost Security Suite9.1 (4652.701.1951),
    in-house IT Support Dept. consisting of two Greyhounds, both of which are now very fast angels, and one Saluki Lurcher

I have two acs.exe files running all the time, which is slightly confusing.

The other acs.exe I have belongs to the 'Atheros Configuration Service (ACS)', not just for wireless lans.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-8054.html

And there's another acs.exe which belongs to a rootkit.
    http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/PRO...le_acs.exe.htm

Thread Information