Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPFW Pro/Avast AV (free) vs OP Security Suite

OPFW Pro/Avast AV (free) vs OP Security Suite

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been using OPFW Pro with Avast AV (free) for some time. The only problem I've had has occurred within the past month where the File/Folder Locking option in OPFW no longer works properly. (One of the reasons I use Avast free is because I live on a very limited VA disability income. If I were to start using OPSS (paid version)...I would essentially be throwing the money away I spent to purchase OPFW Pro).
    I have noted some forum members/Moderators who indicate they use the OPSS. The questions I have about OPSS are as follows:

1. Is OPSS light on system resource use? (I know some programs like McAfee, Norton, etc are well-known system resource hogs and really slow down the computer).

2. Is the firewall in OPSS the same as OPFW Pro & have the same user interface?

3. Can IP Blocklists from Blocklist Pro be imported into the firewall in OPSS?

4. Would using the OPSS FREE version be as good as the paid version? If not, what are the reasons why?

Thank you for your time and any information/recommendations!
    Last edited by spc3rd; 03-30-2012 at 06:16.

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus

Re: OPFW Pro/Avast AV (free) vs OP Security Suite

Quote Originally Posted by spc3rd View Post
    1. Is OPSS light on system resource use?

(I know some programs like McAfee, Norton, etc are well-known system resource hogs and really slow down the computer). - I read this is NOT the case with OP AV

2. Is the firewall in OPSS the same as OPFW Pro & have the same user interface? - I read it does

3. Can IP Blocklists from Blocklist Pro be imported into the firewall in OPSS? - Just like the above

4. Would using the OPSS FREE version be as good as the paid version? If not, what are the reasons why?
    Hope this helps some... I am running OP Pro Paid and get the Full Features of WebControl (most valuable) and Spyware and presently not running any AV programs. If I was to add AV, since very little seems to escape with Tight WebControl Settings, I would probably go with the Suite.

Here are some links to help you with your decision:
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...0249&lang=en#1

"You have a trial version of Outpost Firewall Pro and want to install Outpost Antivirus Pro along with it

Outpost Antivirus Pro setup wizard will detect the earlier installed trial version of Outpost Firewall Pro and will suggest that you upgrade to the fully integrated, advanced security product, Outpost Security Suite Pro. If you agree, a trial version of Outpost Security Suite Pro will be installed on your computer. You will be able to use its full functionality for a trial period of 30 days. If you decide to register your copy of the product after the trial period is finished, you can buy a license. A notification about the necessity to register your copy of the product will appear a few days before the end of the trial period."

http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...0249&lang=en#3

Suite Free VS Paid Comparo:
    http://free.agnitum.com/download.php

Last edited by 1GA_OP; 03-30-2012 at 07:47.

Thanks very much for the feedback, 1GA_OP!

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus

I just thought of another question regarding using OPSS.

Am I correct in saying I would need to change the MBAM Pro I have to on-demand status (i.e. MBAM's real-time scanning would conflict with OPSS)?

Thanks for any info!

OSS and OP are basically the same except OSS adds the antivirus engine. So pretty much everything that you learned from OP can be easily transferred to OSS. You shouldn't see much difference in performance between OSS and OP.

The free product has some limitations that I don't particularly like such as the logs aren't as good. Fundamentally though the underlying product is the same. Agnitum has just not made the free version as nice as the paid product because obviously the free product is an inducement to go for the paid one. The way to really find out is give it a try and see for yourself. You can always go back to OP.

It's always my recommendation that you should only have one real-time scanner active. While it's possible to run two real-time scanners you never know ahead of time if they will clash when most needed so it's best to place your trust in one and add other layers if you feel that one is inadequate. I would turn off MBAM and do but use it as a on demand scanner every once in a while.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thanks very much for the information, Manny!

In looking at Agnitum's product page, it indicates I can try out the OSS for 30 days without providing any credit card info. One concern I have is with regard to the amount of time it takes me to turn off MBAM, uninstall Avast & OPFW Pro, then download/install OSS. That's a significant time period when my computer would be vulnerable to port scanning, etc.

Is it necessary to use that clean.exe program to uninstall OPFW or is simply removing it via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel sufficient?

Download OSS first, disconnect from the internet and go about your business.

Well, while Add/Remove should be enough clean.exe does give you the best change of success. It does take a while for clean.exe to work in safe mode so you could put it in a safe place, uninstall OP normally and then install OSS. Most likely that will work but if not then use clean.exe and try again. If you do go the Add/Remove route turn off everything else first. It never hurts to try and simplify your environment when doing things like this.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Hi again Manny,

Three questions...

1. By "disconnecting" from the Internet...do you mean I should disconnect the cable modem?

2. I'm a little uncertain how to just "download OSS first?" With software downloads there are usually a couple of dialog boxes that open where a user has to click on a button which says <RUN> , <SAVE> or something like that. This part always confuses me...so I figured I better ask first.

3. Should I export the current configuration I have for my OPFW to a file and then import it into OSS after it's installed?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by spc3rd; 03-30-2012 at 19:03.

When you click a link to an executable file on the internet and your browser asks you if you want to (a) run it or (b) save it, it means this:

a) download the file to a temporary folder and run (execute) it for you
    b) save it to a folder of your choosing so you can run (execute) it when you want to

So, 1) yes that would work 2) see above 3) yes, try that

I appreciate the enlightenment jmjsc!

I've managed to install the 30-day trial OSS program now. Will see how it performs and how much system resources it uses.

Thanks again!

Greetings once again,

It seems the installation of OSS did not completely work. I received an error message right above the Taskbar advising that the AFW.SYS driver did not install/load. (I did find a topic posted in the OSS subforum about this same driver). The poster there provided the response from Agnitum. I completed all the instructions except for the part about zipping-up the list of files given to send to Agnitum Support. (I opened a ticket with support about an hour ago).

My question: Agnitum Support will probably want me to zip up those aforementioned files & forward to them. Although, I have the WinRar program...I have NO idea how to zip-up a collection of files and send them to Agnitum. Can someone please explain just how to do this?

Thanks for your time and any information!

Quote Originally Posted by spc3rd View Post
    Greetings once again,

It seems the installation of OSS did not completely work. I received an error message right above the Taskbar advising that the AFW.SYS driver did not install/load. (I did find a topic posted in the OSS subforum about this same driver). The poster there provided the response from Agnitum. I completed all the instructions except for the part about zipping-up the list of files given to send to Agnitum Support. (I opened a ticket with support about an hour ago).

My question: Agnitum Support will probably want me to zip up those aforementioned files & forward to them. Although, I have the WinRar program...I have NO idea how to zip-up a collection of files and send them to Agnitum. Can someone please explain just how to do this?

Thanks for your time and any information!
    Select all the files you want to zip in Windows Explorer, right click and select Winrar compress. Observe a rar file being created, that is what you send to Agnitum support.

Too bad you had problems. Afw.sys is the firewall driver so not having it installed properly is something that needs fixing. It's time to use clean.exe.

Boot into safe mode, navigate to the OSS install folder and run clean.exe. Allow it to run - it gives no indication that it's working - until the machine reboots. Then install OSS again and see how that works out.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho

Thanks for the added info, jmjsc.

I decided to just uninstall OSS and re-install OPFW Pro and Avast AV (free). Unfortunately, I got that same error message again when installing OPFW...the AFW.SYS driver would not load. NOTE: I did run that clean.exe after uninstalling OSS.

The OPFW seems to be working, but how can I be sure of this given that error message about the specified driver not loading? I checked in C:\Windows\Drivers and the afw.sys driver is there?????

Any ideas on what to do would be most welcome.

* Sorry Manny...I just now see that you posted. As I mentioned...I've already uninstalled the OSS, but the driver problem persists with the re-installation of OPFW and I'm starting to get pissed!
    Last edited by spc3rd; 03-31-2012 at 00:43.

Thread Information