Thread: Any advantages to using a router?

Any advantages to using a router?

Good evening everyone,

Are there any advantages to using a router (security-wise)?

On April 1st, I discovered the presence of a trojan (Sirefef variety) during a SAS scan. This trojan managed to not only disable the Web Shield and Mail Scanner functions in my Avast AV (free) program, but also prevented me from being able to get on the Internet.

I ended up having to spend $123 at the repair shop just to fix this machine. So, I am wondering if having my ISP install a router would provide any significant enhancement to my present security set-up (shown in my signature line)?

Thank you for your time and any enlightenment!

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

Re: Any advantages to using a router?

A router is a very valuable tool in your security arsenal. When set properly it blocks all unsolicited inbound traffic so your firewall doesn't have to. It makes it easier on your security umbrella not to have to deal with that since an unprotected computer on the internet will get infected on the order of minutes without you being involved. It's not to say that a router will cure all ills because it won't. A user can still get infected, despite the best security umbrella, if they get tricked into clicking malware to initiate it. That's how most get infected.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thanks very much for the info Manny!

I did speak with my ISP and they indicated they can install a router for $110 (router + labor). Since I've never used a router before (and frankly, haven't a working knowledge as to the specifics on how it works),...is there anything more I should know about "setting the router properly?"

Regards,

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

Pretty much routers are set properly with their default values. What I meant was that a user can override the protection if they want to. They are very easy to install since basically all you do is connect them between your modem and your computers. Reboot your machines and everything should work automagically.

If it was me I'd go to an electronics store - some Wal-Marts sell them - buy one and save the labor charge. I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Later you can learn more about how a router works and the many options they have.

Some DSL modems have a router built in that performs the same function. What they lack is WIFI capability. Have you looked in whether your modem is capable of that. That would be free if you could just turn it on from its interface.

Did your ISP tell you which router they are selling? It could be that it's a good deal depending on the router they are installing.

PS: You might want to look at the Similar Threads just below the reply box. There might be something there for you to read.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Basic setup of a router is usually pretty simple, either by software CD or a web page wizard in the router.

When you use programs that do need incoming ports, then things get interesting, as you need to set them in the router as well as in the software firewall, unless you allow UPNP to do it - assuming the router has UPNP enabled, and the software on the PC is also UPNP aware.

Thanks very much for the additional feedback, Manny and MTDay!

I have no idea what brand of router my ISP would be installing, and as far as I can tell, the modem I have does not have a router built in. The main reason I would consider having my ISP install the router is because they warranty the labor & router itself, in case there are problems. (living on a limited, fixed income as I do now...means having to really rein-in expenses).

Regards & thanks again!

Thread Information