Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OPFW 7.5 install problems with XP SP3

Re: OPFW 7.5 install problems with XP SP3

Great! Did it take more than 1x Boot/Restart to Desktop? Let me know if you find you have more than 1x for BootUp.

If you are sticking with V7.1, then Start with your Windows Updates. On my WinXp Sp3 box, I have only 46 CRITICAL Patches installed and down about 80+ patches in total. Some of these Patches are more problematic than helpful and has not been a problem with me with a Strong Firewall.

Then if you need to install Nod32, (v4 or v5) here is a link to my install process:
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...method)-XP-Sp3

Keep in mind, if you don't set your New AV Settings correctly... you may REALLY Delay your BootUp since it is going to Scan Everything before you can Boot BackUp.

1GA,

It did not require any reboots at all. Much to my surprise I got the regular logins on its first restart after the install finished.

Thanks for the link to the OP-Nod thread. But my situation is the opposite of that. I have OPFW in and need to install Nod.

On the install of OPFW, I did not have it install the Spyware protection, but I did install the Web Control. If I recall right from the past issues with w2k systems, one had to avoid installing the spyware part of OPFW and then turn off the web control part to avoid problems when installing Nod. Right?

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney77 View Post
    ... one had to avoid installing the spyware part of OPFW and then turn off the web control part to avoid problems when installing Nod. Right?

Rodney
    Well, if you are going to install Nod32, you don't need the Spyware of OP... but WebControl is Fine. It has been working well on both of my Win2K boxes where OP V6.7.3, WebControl Enabled, and Nod32 Installed.

....keep in mind, if you don't turn OFF the Nod32 Boot Scan, you may have to Wait a LONG time for it to Boot if you leave this feature in place. Read my link again for this parcel of information so you can have a quick(er) install.

see "4- THIS HELPS Alot too -Uncheck ALL Boxes in AntiVirus and AntiSpyware // StartUp Scan // Setup // OBJECTS"

Glad you had a Quick Boot on your Install.

1GA,

Thanks. Yes the Nod32 boot scan is a headache at times,.. well all the time.

Any particular XP updates to avoid? I think there are one or two that will let MS scan your machine for installed software. Just don't know their names/numbers.

Have now connected to the net, installed Spywear Blaster & SpyBot. Running SpyBot scan before proceeding. Then install the networked HP printer drivers. And onto the Windows updates. Well that after a run & save of Belarc Advisor.

Ah the fun of it all. Thanks again for yur help with this.
    Rodney

You are Welcome... you may want to look at putting an NLite Slip Streamed XP install together with these Updates.

These are what I have installed now... only the ones that I felt were Very Critical and did not get a chance to look at this months Critical list out in April of last week.

WinXpSp3_Patches_041212.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: OPFW 7.5 install problems with XP SP3

1GA,

Thanks again for the help with this. I now have a working XP fully updated (minus the Malware checker by choice) with OPFW 7.1.3415.520.1247, Nod32 v4, running decently well. Even got the HP 2200dn network printer installed. And I have gone thru it once more and completed cleaning out the HP shipped with junk. Not only was I able to significantly shrink the OS HD footprint, it now boots and shuts down many times faster.

So this is now a success. It is always a disappointment to find the amount of junk, slow-downers, spyware, monitoring stuff etc that PC makers put on their machines. This must affect 90% + of the machines in use, every day.

But the problem I had with OP v7.5, does make me wonder how long it will take Agnitum to get it really working? I never did find out why it was not installing, btw.

Thanks again.
    Rodney

Rodney,
    Glad you got your system in svelte working order. It does take a lot of work to get a new system down to only the necessary system drivers to function properly.

Will report if I get some results on the V7.5 update.

Thread Information