Thread: OPFW Pro vs OSS - seeking personal experiences and comments

OPFW Pro vs OSS - seeking personal experiences and comments

Good evening,

During the time I've been a forum member here, I've noticed quite a lot of people post their "positive comments" about the OSS program...including our esteemed Moderator, Manny

I presently use OPFW Pro v7.5.2 (other security programs are shown in my signature line below for your reference). WIth the exception of a recent incident where I managed to pickup a Sirefef Trojan, and the on-going issue with the File/Folder Lock feature in OPFW not working at all...my present security program arrangement seems to work quite well.

My inquiry is this: Based on your respective personal experiences...would it be advantageous for me to uninstall Avast AV (free), and OPFW Pro, then download and install the Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Program (FREE version)?

Thank you for your time and any thoughts!

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

Re: OPFW Pro vs OSS - seeking personal experiences and comments

No thoughts from anyone here yet, huh??

Well, here's one from me. I decided to go into Safe Mode, uninstall Avast (free) and OPFW Pro via the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, as well as, disabling MBAM's realtime scanning. I then downloaded and installed the PAID version of OSS and thus far, everything seems to be functioning quite well.

I also note that the File/Folder Lock function which was previously not working in OPFW Pro...is now working perfectly in OSS! I'll see how it goes for a few months and if the OSS is indeed worth the money I paid for it.

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 (lifetime license) | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | MBAE (free)

I''m glad it's working for you. Removing Avast was a good idea and why F/L is working for you.

I'll give you my thoughts on free OSS. I don't like it largely because of the logging limitations. Most of it is just like OSS but without the comprehensive logs it's a little hard to know what's going on when there's a problem.

I think you'll like the paid OSS version.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thanks a heap for the feedback, Manny!

I recalled from some of your past posts, you spoke quite favorably about the OSS program, so I figured I'd go ahead and pay the $29 something to acquire the 1 year license for OSS and see how it performs. So far...so good!

Best regards,

Best of luck to you.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Thread Information