Thread: Could use some help in understanding the OSS LAN settings?

Could use some help in understanding the OSS LAN settings?

Good evening everyone,

Well, this is my very first post in the OSS subforum since acquiring the paid OSS version earlier, so I'm hoping the many knowledgeable forum members & Moderators we have here will be able to enlighten me some.

First off, my IP address (when hovering the mouse pointer over the OSS icon) is shown as 70.160.33.77. I have only a single computer here at the house,; no one but me has access to it, and as far as I know...I am not a part of any LAN. (Or, maybe my perception of what a LAN is....is misguided).
    Cox Communications is my ISP; internet connection is via cable modem [no router].

I am looking for some help in making sense of the attached screenshot of the LAN settings. I have NO idea how to interpret the info displayed; whether it is legit; a security risk, how I should or should not tick the boxes...or whatever.

Thank you for your time, review, and any enlightenment for this poor, disheartened soul!

Best regards!

OSS - LAN Settings.JPG

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus

Re: Could use some help in understanding the OSS LAN settings?

If you don't have a LAN, I'd recommend removing all the listed networks and turning off detection - even if you have more than one PC sharing interent access on a router, the setting is unneccesary, while the default applied by autodetection is not appropriate on public networks.

The 70.x network is your connection (public IP address), and since that range is shared with other cable users on the same segment, netbios permission is VERY WRONG.
    The 169.254.0.0 network is APIPA (Automatic Private IP Assignment), used if the connection was not detected (maybe you started the PC without the modem powered or connected).
    The 192.168.100.0 is typical of either routers, or of cable modem status page addresses

None of which need netbios connectivity!

I appreciate the info, MTDay!

Though I'm still trying to grasp a decent understanding about all this LAN stuff, I'm guessing the appearance of the IP 169.254.0.0 may have resulted when I disconnected the modem & booted into Safe Mode to uninstall both the Avast (free) and OPFW Pro I previously had installed prior to downloading and installing the paid OSS program.

A I indicated before, I have only this one computer which I alone use; it uses only a cable modem for its Intenet connection and there is no router around here at all. I'll try your suggestion of removing all the listed networks and turning off the automatic network detection to see what happens.

(Because I seem to often have a predisposition for undesirable events occuring...I'd have to admit having some concerns with all this stuff)..

Thanks very much again for your information and enlightenment!

Best regards,

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 400 GB HDD | 8 GB RAM | Outpost Security Suite Pro (lifetime license) | MBAM Premium 2.0 | SAS (on-demand) | Spywareblaster | Blocklist Pro | IE11 and FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus

The 169 address is automatic and built in. It's the one your machine gets when your network address is not acquired for some reason. Although it's a new entry in the LAN settings it's absolutely normal for Windows and has been the fallback network address forever. There's no need in your setup to have any options ticked for that as it's not needed for your simple setup. You might as well untick it.

Your setup is a LAN between your machine and the cable modem. That's the network you are part of for sure. And you are also part of the network that shares that segment of the cable network as MTDay pointed out. For sure you don't want to allow any of your neighbors access to your machine. You should Untick all options for the 70.xx address.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

As a side note, I am glad this subject was posted to remind me to check lan settings. On a trip back to the East coast with stops in 3 or 4 motels each way, lan settings must be checked at each stop. Been 3 years since the last trip.
    Ken

Just a note of sincere thanks Manny...and to all the others here who have taken the time to reply to my inquiry!

One of the unique characteristics I've noted during the time I've been a member of these forums here is how participants are always so willing, patient, and selfless in their endeavors to assist another member with a problem they may be having! This is particularly true in a case like mine...where a responder may practically have to provide significant step-by-step detail(s) to enable the OP to grasp a decent understanding of the topic material.

Again...my sincerest thanks to you Manny and everyone else who expended their time and effort(s) to help me with this inquiry!

Best regards to all!

Thread Information