Thread: Outpost Firewall Free Version 6.5

Question Outpost Firewall Free Version 6.5

Hello:

I've been using Outpost Firewall 6.5.1 (2009) Free for several years now.

I realize this version has been unsupported for quite a while now. It does seem however to continue working..

I would consider upgrading to the Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 version, but the latter has a WebGuard or real-time AntiSpyware guard.

My AV is Avira Anitvirus Premium which has a WebGuard, and I fear they would conflict. I've read about such conflicts on the Avira support forum.

Since I do like the Avira antivirus Premium, I'm a bit of a loss with getting a standalone firewall. Most today contain some realtime guard protection of one sort or another. Or they're part of a more comprehensive internet security suite.

My question is as follows:

How well is Outpost 6.5 still functioning as a Firewall?

I realize there haven't been any upgrades to this version in a long time. I have tested my security with GRC's Shields Up (all ports are stealthed and passed leaktest)

I do realize the stealthed ports might merely reflect the Routers filtering...

and with the: "Comodo Parent Injection Leak Test Suite". It passed that as well

Are there further considerations as to whether this older version of Outpost Firewall is still effectively functioning as a firewall?

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Avira Antivirus Premium 2012
    Outpost Firewall Free (2009) 6.5.1
    Windows XP Professional edition SP3
    Last edited by eliuri; 05-04-2012 at 14:39.

Re: Outpost Firewall Free: Version 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by eliuri View Post
    ...I've been using Outpost Firewall 6.5.1 (2009) Free for several years now.

My question is as follows:[/B]

How well is Outpost 6.5 still functioning as a Firewall?
    Well if you like your current AV... then you should be fine. I am using OP V6.7.3 with my other 2 Desktops w/Nod32 AV and manually do the program security if needed.

On my Main Desktop, I am using OP Pro V7.5.2 with WebControl & Anti-Spyware (&Email Scanner) with NO other AV installed and it works light & thorough.... this portion does the REAL-TIME Scanning you were addressing.

Last edited by 1GA_OP; 05-04-2012 at 15:41.

Re: Outpost Firewall Free Version 6.5

Thanks for your reply, IGA_OP

That combination of Avira Premium with WebGuard and the Outpost 6.5.1 Firewall has served me well for years now.

Am I correct that Outpost Firewall 6.7.3 (like 6.5.1) has no real time Web Control or Anti-Spyware?

Also: Other than the firewall tests already performed, ShieldsUp and Comodo Leak Test as mentioned in my original post, are there other reliable and safe to use firewall tests you would recommend to ascertain effectiveness? The PC Flank tests seems a bit misleading...

Thanks again:

-eliuri
    Last edited by eliuri; 05-04-2012 at 16:51. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by eliuri View Post
    ...Am I correct that Outpost Firewall 6.7.3 (like 6.5.1) has no real time Web Control or Anti-Spyware?
    ...-eliuri
    Not sure if V6.5.1 does but V6.7.3 under the Advanced Install would have WebControl and Anti-Spyware... but the SpyWare portion is NOT updated. The Earliest Version of OP Pro Supported at this time is V7.1.3415.520.1247 (works w/Win2K).

If you wanted you could update to V7.5.2 (has additional features & ID Lock), less the Anti-Spyware portion (WebControl may still work) with Avira.

Here is the Install Link:
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/ar...000268&lang=en

Hi again:

I'm trying to avoid any realtime WebGuard or WebControl in Outpost as those might conflict with Avira's WebGuard.

There was a recent post on this board:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...l+only+fireall

which shows just how difficult it is to install only the firewall component of Outpost if there are other modules as well. The advantage of Outpost 6.5.1 is that it doesn't have any such modules. it's a pure firewall. My concern is that it's no longer supported.Hence my interest in testing it further..

The link you had provided instructed how to exclude Outpost program files from Avira's scan. I had done that long ago. it doesn't address the issue of compatibility of later versions of outpost and Avira Premium.

Thanks again

-eliuri
    Last edited by eliuri; 05-04-2012 at 18:52. Reason: typos

Okay i am considering using the outpost free firewall but from what i understand this has not been updated in 3 years.Should i not bother or is it still secure enough to use.
    Thanks.

Outpost free firewall concerns.

Hello outpost forum.
    Im looking for a free firewall and i have been considering the outpost free edition.However i have some concerns about this.I see it has not received any updates since may 2009.Is this still a secure firewall as it is now.?
    Any help or opinions would be very much appreciated.
    Thank You.

Re: Outpost free firewall concerns.

As a firewall it's perfectly fine. The product changes have been to enhance functionality in areas such as HIPS but just from the firewall standpoint the free version is pretty much the same as it is now.

If you tell me what you mean by secure than I can give you a better response.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Re: Outpost free firewall concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Carvalho View Post
    As a firewall it's perfectly fine. The product changes have been to enhance functionality in areas such as HIPS but just from the firewall standpoint the free version is pretty much the same as it is now.

If you tell me what you mean by secure than I can give you a better response.
    Hello manny and thank you for the reply.
    Perhaps safe would have been a more appropriate word,In regard to vulnerabilities etc.I dont know what your viewpoint is on leaktests and things like that but does the free version pass these.
    I sincerely hope you can appreciate the concern when the firewall is 3 years old.
    Thank You.

Leak tests are generally HIPS so if that's your concern than it's not as good as current versions. If you are really concerned then your best best is to pay for your firewall. In any case you can head over to Matousec and see how the various firewalls rate there and then choose. As a rule Outpost does well and is a top scorer.

Personally, leak tests are theoretical and don't necessarily reflect the real world. It is a comparative measure though but I don't put a whole lot of stock in it. The top 3-5 firewall perform well enough so that it doesn't concern me. A firewall is only one part of your security umbrella. As long as you choose one that is top rated than you should be fine. To me the most important criteria is that a user understands how to configure the firewall they choose and feels comfortable with it. That's more to me than exactly what numerical grade they have on leak tests.
    Regards,
    Manny Carvalho
    MS-MVP Windows since 2002

Outpost security suite free.??

Hello forum and greetings to one and all.
    Im new to this forum and liking it so far.I would just like to ask outpost forum members their opinions on the erroneous and quite false claim from agnitum that their free suite is the worlds "first" free internet suite.This is clearly a load of baloney and we all know that comodo internet security claims that title long before outpost,So could someone please clarify why this false advertising is permitted to carry on.Its extremely misleading to the general public and doesnt say much for agnitum as a company on the whole.
    Solid reasons would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

not false advertising, just marketing speak by both sides. agnitum had the first COMPLETE suite by their definition, as the 'other' suite was missing a few features agnitum thought should be in one. 'claiming' as you mentioned is not 'having'. this was all thrashed out years ago here. you are beating a dead horse. if you want, you can use the search function and look at the archived stuff for 'reasons'. i can't be bothered to do it for you.

thread is drifting dangerously after initial answer to the OP's question, so i'll close it.
    Last edited by KronckeW; 03-11-2013 at 04:02.
    Regards,

CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS

Win7 x64 SP1, i7 quad core 3770k, 16GB ram, Custom build PC wi. Asus P8Z77-I MB, nVidia GTX650, Firefox 34.0a1 x64,
    Thunderbird 34.0a1 x64, IE10, Asus DSL-N55U router, Outpost Security Suite9.1 (4562.701.1951),
    in-house IT Support Dept. consisting of two Greyhounds, both of which are now very fast angels, and one Saluki Lurcher

Thread Information