Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wigan, England
    Posts
    550

    Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    OSS seems much slower than OPFW to 'update' its database after startup. The delay of several minutes is sufficient to cause concern that a useful time window of opportunity is allowed to exist for malware to sneak in, especially in the event of a system being started after being out of use for several days. OPFW seems much quicker off the mark and its database is far less security critical than OSS's.

    Another curiosity is that OPFW has a Firewall information feature in the main window whereas OSS (the 'superior' product) has not.

    Also, while I am about my critique, why has Agnitum not seen fit to make it possible to read the information in the Application Guard configuration dialog box (this applies to both OSS and OPFW)? There is no horizontal scrolling so tree names that are not very short cannot be read and verified once entered. I have complained many times about this to Agnitum but without success. The same deficient edit control appears release after release.
    Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.

    Primos Rev 19.4, Windows XP, Windows 7

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    173

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Never used OPFW but I'll have to agree on some UI laziness on Agnitum's part. I'll add to the problem you mention the inability to remember the new rule window "Apply selected action..." tick-box's state, and the Network Activity/Columns settings not being included and exported in the Configuration.

    My understanding is that they are not touching the UI until a new major version (v10) arrives which honestly, doesn't make much sense since v9 is out for quite a long time now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CSA Consulate,Rm.101,Glos. UK
    Posts
    6,440

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    OSS of course takes longer to run an update, it has to download the antivirus/antimaleware data that opfw does not have.

    if you actually mean the startup time outpost fw or oss take to show the notification icon, outpost, starts up and is protecting you very early in the boot process, before any networking to the outside world is possible. it protects in a 'block all' mode until it loads in all it's rules, antimalware data, and other stuff from the config - again some of which is not in the fw only version. the program that you use to interface the service, the gui, starts up after you as a user, log in. when it's icon appears in the notification area is immaterial and subject to the whims of whatever else you have in your startup programs group, as you have been protected way earlier.

    ..and it doesn't make any sense to spend a whole lot of effort on the 9.x gui when the 10 should be taking their major efforts. 9.2 is just a quick stopgap to add win10 compatibility.
    Regards,

    CAVE CANEM
    ET SEMPER PARATUS.

    Win10 x64 build 14388, i7 quad core 3770k, 16GB ram, Custom build PC wi. Asus P8Z77-I MB, nVidia GTX650, Firefox 51.0a1 x64, Windows 10
    build 14353.5, Thunderbird 45.1.1 x64, BT HomeHub 5 & Infinity Fibre, Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 (4934.708.2079) & ESET Smart Security 9.0.314.14
    in-house IT Support Dept. consisting of two Greyhounds, both of which are now very fast angels, and one Saluki Lurcher



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wigan, England
    Posts
    550

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    I use OSS because my lifetime licence for OPFW is fully used (3 Windows PCs). I also have a lifetime licence for OSS which I use, like OPFW, with AVG 2015 free. I splashed out quite a while ago on a lifetime license with OSS because that gave me options to use it as security suite or as firewall only like with OPFW. I subsequently gave up on Outpost AV and found that the combination of OSS/OPFW and AVG worked extremely well. It feels like the two were made for each other.

    Other products used are EMET and MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit Premium. A lot of work has been done to harden XP using recommendations found in, for example, 'A Guide to Securing Microsoft Windows XP Systems for IT Professionals: A NIST Security Configuration Checklist'.

    I have yet to experience a single successful intrusion with Windows XP which I have been using since 2001. My present XP incarnation has been in use since 2006. The availability of POSReady security updates ceases in April 2019 so I will ready to move over to Linux by then.
    Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.

    Primos Rev 19.4, Windows XP, Windows 7

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    691

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by hake View Post
    so I will ready to move over to Linux by then.
    Excellent, Linux.
    Computer protected by Outpost Firewall Pro

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    691

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by Voldicon View Post
    Never used OPFW but I'll have to agree on some UI laziness on Agnitum's part. I'll add to the problem you mention the inability to remember the new rule window "Apply selected action..." tick-box's state, and the Network Activity/Columns settings not being included and exported in the Configuration.

    My understanding is that they are not touching the UI until a new major version (v10) arrives which honestly, doesn't make much sense since v9 is out for quite a long time now.
    It's not been touched user interface, with all new versions.
    Computer protected by Outpost Firewall Pro

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,312

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by hake View Post
    OSS seems much slower than OPFW to 'update' its database after startup. The delay of several minutes is sufficient to cause concern that a useful time window of opportunity is allowed to exist for malware to sneak in, especially in the event of a system being started after being out of use for several days. OPFW seems much quicker off the mark and its database is far less security critical than OSS's.

    Another curiosity is that OPFW has a Firewall information feature in the main window whereas OSS (the 'superior' product) has not.

    Also, while I am about my critique, why has Agnitum not seen fit to make it possible to read the information in the Application Guard configuration dialog box (this applies to both OSS and OPFW)? There is no horizontal scrolling so tree names that are not very short cannot be read and verified once entered. I have complained many times about this to Agnitum but without success. The same deficient edit control appears release after release.
    Not a concern, OSS is involved from startup and is in block all mode until bootup is complete. It then switches to the firewall policy mode you selected.

    As far as speed, of course OPFW is quicker to load. it doesn't include anti-malware, antipspyware and anti virus like OSS.
    Last edited by chrisclu; 21 Sep 2015 at 06:11.
    OS: Windows 7 64 bit Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 9.3 (4934.708.2079)
    Firefox 51.0.1 Thunderbird 45.7.0
    SuperAntispyware, MS Security Essentials, AdWare Cleaner, JRT

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    691

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclu View Post
    As far as speed, of course OPFW is quicker to load.
    Especially with the optical fiber.
    Computer protected by Outpost Firewall Pro

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,312

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    I have Fiber Optic as well but that should not affect OSS bootup (with the exception of checking for updates if you have it so set.) That is for internet connection when you open your browser.
    OS: Windows 7 64 bit Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 9.3 (4934.708.2079)
    Firefox 51.0.1 Thunderbird 45.7.0
    SuperAntispyware, MS Security Essentials, AdWare Cleaner, JRT

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    691

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclu View Post
    That is for internet connection when you open your browser.
    Exact
    Computer protected by Outpost Firewall Pro

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    270

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    Quote Originally Posted by hake View Post
    Also, while I am about my critique, why has Agnitum not seen fit to make it possible to read the information in the Application Guard configuration dialog box (this applies to both OSS and OPFW)? There is no horizontal scrolling so tree names that are not very short cannot be read and verified once entered. I have complained many times about this to Agnitum but without success. The same deficient edit control appears release after release.
    When, oh when, will Agnitum programmers...
    1. learn to make resizeable windows with scroll bars, same request that hake has been asking for many times, it can't be that hard to learn. Should be done on all tabs of the Application Antileak section.
    2. give us back our settings in a text file(s) where we can quickly find, for instance, which applications use keylogging or port 8080, or whatever
    3. keep the firewall log or activity log or components log open and allow looking at the application rules at the same time
    4. report local port in the firewall log
    5. permit to not log certain antileak activities (searchindexer is a particular pest)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    691

    Re: Some comparisons between OSS v OPFW

    In any case is suggested, leave the product, set by default.
    Computer protected by Outpost Firewall Pro

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. KIS and OPFW Pro
    By Wilpower2k3 in forum Outpost Pro FIREWALL General Discussions, Support, and Troubleshooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07 Jun 2014, 02:45
  2. OPFW with Kaspersky...
    By neowillendit in forum Outpost Pro FIREWALL General Discussions, Support, and Troubleshooting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21 Jan 2011, 05:28
  3. OSS Free and OPFW Pro
    By Wilpower2k3 in forum Outpost Pro FIREWALL General Discussions, Support, and Troubleshooting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08 Dec 2010, 05:57
  4. Opfw 7.0.4 icon
    By Wilpower2k3 in forum Outpost Pro FIREWALL General Discussions, Support, and Troubleshooting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06 Dec 2010, 08:43
  5. Suggestion re: Comparisons on web page
    By Rook in forum Retired Threads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06 Dec 2001, 22:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •