Thread: OSS - Replacing The AV Component

OSS - Replacing The AV Component

Chaps,

As with probably thousands of others, I'm just getting to grips with the implications of the demise of OSS and Agnitum products in general.

Having several lifetime licences for OSS I've decided to re-install, on all PCs, keeping only firewall components, and replace the AV components with something else.

I've pretty much decided on BitDefender AV, for all PCs running Windows 7 and up, but I'm struggling to make a decision as to what to install on a couple of older PCs running XP.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.

OB

Re: OSS - Replacing The AV Component

Hi to all, I am new to this forum and also want to keep my OSS on my Windows 7 computer.
    Instead of making a reinstallation of OSS without the AV components, ins't it possible to disable the anti-malware function of OSS and then to install a third party AV program ?

If avoiding reinstall of OSS (on Win7), you could simply disable the Anti-Malware - Real-Time Protection, leaving the other protections in place. Then you could simply install a basic free AV tool, such as AVG, etc.

Currently, my XP machines are used for a very limited set of tasks and thus I've left OSS fully running and added, EMET, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (free) and periodic scans by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I've also installed Firefox as this uses it's own certificate store and thus avoid some of the security issues associated with IE and Chrome.

With my everyday Win7 and later systems I'm looking to replace OSS completely, but so far not happy with the various offerings - but that is to be expected since I've been using Outpost since Firewall v1.0....

Quote Originally Posted by OftenBaffled View Post
    Chaps,

As with probably thousands of others, I'm just getting to grips with the implications of the demise of OSS and Agnitum products in general.

Having several lifetime licences for OSS I've decided to re-install, on all PCs, keeping only firewall components, and replace the AV components with something else.

I've pretty much decided on BitDefender AV, for all PCs running Windows 7 and up, but I'm struggling to make a decision as to what to install on a couple of older PCs running XP.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance.

OB
    Comodo firewall will run on xp sp3 ,and configured correctly ,negates the need for an av.I use it on my windows 7 ,with no av

I used top use AVG with good results and no issues on Windows XP for years This Computer has Win 7 so after reverting to Outpost Firewall Pro from OSS I'm using MSSE real time with no issues and I have JRT, Adwcleaner and SAS installed but only for manual scans All work well.
    OS: Windows 7 64 bit Outpost Firewall Pro ver. 9.3 (4934.708.2079)
    Firefox 51.0.1 Thunderbird 45.7.0
    SuperAntispyware, MS Security Essentials, AdWare Cleaner, JRT

Save the config data, uninstall, reinstall without AV and restore the config data. Some AVs recognise OSS as another AV and so prevent their own installation regardless of whether OSS AV has been included in the OSS installation options. Install the alternative AV first then reinstall OSS without OSS's AV. That puts you in the same place as the user of OPFW. It is probably best to install either OSS or OPFW AFTER the AV since Outpost makes adjustments depending on what AV it finds during its preliminary examination of the host system.

Outpost works well with AVG, Avast and Panda Antivirus Free. I had issues with Outpost and AVG/Avast running in Windows XP but Panda is a very compatible companion. Remember to place Outpost in the AV exclusions of all of those AVs I have just mentioned.

Once in use, OSS and OPFW seem equal. I use OPFW Free 2009 on some small XP systems. There is no problem with the lack of Outpost updates from the intervening seven years. Just a bit more work with Outpost's requests for permissions.
    Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.

Primos Rev 19.4, Windows XP, Windows 7

Thread Information