Thread: configuring Outlook express ports

configuring Outlook express ports

How do I enable Outlook Express to access only connections from ports 25, 110, and 119 using Outpost? My understanding is this will stop spam mail from opening by browser using javascripts. My daughter visits some kids sites that have java based games and I don't want to block those. I'm in the process of setting up her own e-mail address and only God knows who is going to get their hands on it. I just want to start to batten the hatches.

First of all Outlook express has a preset set of rules that is fairly tight. You can edit the ruleset for it and allow only what you want. I also block my email client outgoing to port 80. That stops the email from opening website scripts in my email.
    As for your daughter and games with scripts. For safety purposes, in options>plugin setups>active content>settings, I would block everything except referrers for web pages. Then when your daughter finds a site that needs js, highlight webpages, click add, put the website addy in the box as in www.xyz.xxx. Then when that site is highlighted, you can allow cookies, js, popups or whatever for that site alone.
    Also while you are in settings, highlight mail,news, and block everything unless there is some reason to allow one of the functions there.
    With the default block everything in active content, you may find a webpage will not show at all. Check your active content log and get the address of the page plus what was blocked and add the website to your list in settings and allow what is necessary, assuming your are sure it is safe.

Re: configuring Outlook express ports

Originally posted by JoeDel
    How do I enable Outlook Express to access only connections from ports 25, 110, and 119 using Outpost? My understanding is this will stop spam mail from opening by browser using javascripts. My daughter visits some kids sites that have java based games and I don't want to block those. I'm in the process of setting up her own e-mail address and only God knows who is going to get their hands on it. I just want to start to batten the hatches.
    Hi JoeDel,
    it is very easy. One way could be that, if OE tries to access the first time to the internet you choose the preset for Outlook Express. Than in the next step you go to system/applications, double click the Outlook Express and watch the ruleset. Disable (uncheck) or remove those rules you donīt need (or donīt want in this case it would be HTTP + the following) or better here would be to change only the "allow" in this rule on "deny", then move this rule above the others. This should prevent you from popups you next time get such a spam mail. If you only disable or remove them like I said before you would need to change your policy on block most mode after this if you stay in rules wizard it would here popup again. Thatīs the first. Another one could be that you use "other" when connecting first time to your mailserver, this will specify the remotehost on this one mailserver or you set it up from hand with using the information your email-provider told you. Additonally to this here preventing from HTTP spam you can enable all the "Emai" script protection in the Active Content Filter (not the webpage) and enable the mail filter to report and rename attachments.
    Hope it helps if not please ask again
    Best regards
    v_profiler
    WIN 98SE/ME, AL 6.0, IE 6.0, OP PRO BETA 1.0.1511.1038, Filtnt.sys: 1.0.228
    It's easy to break in. What's hard is to secure a system. (by Anonymous)

Thanks, I'll look this over a few times and see how it works for me.

I just set the following rule: where the protocol TCP, and connection is Outbound and port is HTTP, then reject it.

Since that any spam is unable to go online, or to show ads in the emails.

Thumbs up

Well Danil's suggestion seemed simple enough so Itried it. Does anyone here want to help me test it? I'd like to thank everyone for their help. This is a great group of people!

Thread Information